Nancy-

DEpends on hwo much damage and where. Two examples:

1. Years ago I worked with an inmate who had sustained indirect damage
to the left amygdala via a fall onto some rocks.  His behaviour was
complketely unremarkable most of the time.  However, every once in a
while he would fly into an uncotrollable violent rage. It usually took
about 6 guards to subdue him.  Th rage would last for abou a half an
hour and then he was fine again.  He was always extremely apollogetic
after each incident and could provide no reason for the outburst.

2. The Kluver-Bucey (sp?) syndrome follows the bilateral ablation of the
temporal lobes in chimpanzees.  This procedure also imparts on the
amygdala.  Symptoms are: mouthing behaviour (all objects introduced into
the cage are placed in the mouth and explored orally for an extended
time).  Lack of rage response to repeated painful stimli (e.g. pin
sticks). Hypersexuality.

Hope that helps,

-Don.

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Listivores,
>
> I promise - this is the last one.
>
> What are the possible results in terms of behavior if the amygdala is damaged?
>
> On behalf of my curious students, I thank you.
>
> Nancy Melucci
> ELAC

Don Allen                               email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. of Psychology                     voice: (604)-323-5871
Langara College                         fax:   (604)-323-5555
100 W. 49th Ave.
Vancouver, B.C.
Canada, V5Y 2Z6