From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 12:39 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Needing to defend myself in a grade appeal

Tipsters,

My introductory psychology syllabus states on the first page that the course
requirements are based on three (out of four) examinations, quizzes, and a
final project. The split is given 50% for the exams, 25% for the quizzes, 25%
for the final project.

Several students in one section of intro psych at Santa Monica College either
just flat out didn't hand in the final project, or decided (without
consulting me) to take the fourth exam and not hand in the final project.  In
the case of one student who did the latter, I took the average of the three
highest exam grades, the quizzes, and got a 67% - a D.  Since her grade would
have been an A or a B if she'd fulfilled the requirements as stated on the
syllabus, I decided to be merciful and give her a C. But I have received a
phone call from the college ombudsperson and fear that I will end up having
to revise her grade upwards.

How does my case look to you - I have a copy of my syllabus available.  Based
on your experiences, will I end up having to raise her grade because "she
took four exams, so it's equal to the course requirements?"

Nancy Melucci
ELAC