Re the recent discussion of case-based teaching, some of you might be
interested in the following announcement. I attended a couple of years ago,
enjoyed it, and learned a lot.
Pat Cabe

Date:          Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:20:01 -0500
From:          Nancy A Schiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:       Summer Case Studies in Science Workshop - Call for Applications
To:            [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello!

We are pleased to announce this summer's Case Studies in Science
Workshop.  Like last year, we are again offering two sessions.  Dates and
other information are provided in our announcement below.  Please pass
this announcement along to colleagues you think might be interested in
joining us this year.  My regards, Nancy Schiller

with support from The Pew Charitable Trusts and the National Science
Teachers Association

Workshop Dates:         1st workshop session:   May 21-25, 2001
                        2nd workshop session:   June 11-15, 2001
Workshop Location:      State University of New York at Buffalo
                        Buffalo, New York
Application Deadline:   Midnight, February 23, 2001
Workshop Website:
http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/projects/cases/workshop/

This five-day workshop focuses on training undergraduate college science
faculty to teach with case studies and to write their own cases. The final
two days, workshop participants teach a case before a student audience
using a case they have developed during the workshop or from our case
study collection.  Participation in the workshop is by application only
and is limited to 40 people per workshop session.  Our grant funding
allows us to offer the workshop without charging a registration fee.  In
addition, meals and materials are covered.  Travel expenses and lodging
are not.  Workshop participants receive a $200 stipend for producing a
case study within six months of the workshop for our case web site at
http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/projects/cases. Workshop participants
and five of their colleagues also each receive a one-year gift
subscription to the _Journal of College Science Teaching_.

WORKSHOP SCHEDULE

Monday
8:45 a.m.       Registration and Coffee
9:00 a.m.       Welcome and Overview: What Do We Know About Cases?
                What Do We Need to Know?
9:45 a.m.       Teaching a Case Using the Discussion Method
12:00 p.m.      Lunch
1:00 p.m.       Analyzing the Case Study Process
2:00 p.m.       Writing Your Own Cases, Part I

Tuesday
9:00 a.m.       Using Small Groups in Case Work: Interrupted Cases,
                Problem Based Learning
12:00 p.m.      Lunch
1:00 p.m.       Team Learning Using Cases: A Revolution in Teaching
3:00 p.m.       Writing Your Own Cases, Part II

Wednesday
9:00 a.m.       Types of Cases and How to Teach Them:
                Presentations by "Veteran" Case Method Teachers
                in Different Science Disciplines
12:00 p.m.      Lunch
1:00 p.m.       Writing Your Own Cases, Part III

Thurs & Fri     Practice Teaching Sessions: Teaching Your Own Cases

WORKSHOP DIRECTOR Clyde F. Herreid is a Distinguished Teaching Professor
in the Biological Sciences Department at the State University of New York
at Buffalo.  He has conducted numerous workshops around the country on
case method teaching, team learning, and problem-based learning.  He is
the author of a column on case studies regularly featured in the _Journal
of College Science Teaching_ and Director of the National Center for Case
Study Teaching in Science.

                           APPLY ONLINE AT:
  http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/projects/cases/workshop/regis.html

                Application Deadline: February 23, 2001

For more details about the workshop, see our WORKSHOP FAQ at
http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/projects/cases/workshop/workshopfaq.html

Questions? Contact Nancy Schiller, Co-Director, National Center for Case
Study Teaching in Science, [EMAIL PROTECTED], 716-645-2947 x225

Patrick Cabe, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
University of North Carolina at Pembroke
One University Drive
Pembroke, NC 28372-1510

(910) 521-6630

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

"There is the danger that everyone waits
idly for others to act in his stead."
Albert Einstein

"Majorities simply follow minorities.
Gandhi