On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:35:10 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time) Ken Steele
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > BTW, it seems to have a misprint as well, because it says that
> > these are under ideal conditions, and than "actually, few human
> > adults can ordinarily hear tones much above 8,000 cycles". I'm
> > sure they meant 18,000.
> >

> This may not be a misprint but a reference to equal loudness contours.
> Our sensitivity to sounds is a U-shaped function of frequency.

I should have said loudness contours and masking effects.  Note MP3
encoders take advantage of these effects in their "lossy" compression
technique by selectively removing frequencies from the file.

Ken

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. of Psychology
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608