It's my understanding that the serious scientific research in this area
focuses on psychoimmunology and is conducted at the graduate
level--usually med schools.  I think Harvard med has a Mind/Body
Clinic.  At the undergrad level, there are sometimes research assistantships
for BAs at teaching hospitals with behavioral medicine
departments.

If there is a local Wellness Community or Gilda's Club in your area, your
student might be able to speak with one of their social workers about the
field and get some program recommendations that way.

All my best,

Pam Shapiro