On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, brucebachelder wrote:

> I have been subscribed, here, for a good long time now and have even
> posted a
> couple of times, but I now realize I may have blundered by not
> introducing myself.

While introductions are interesting and welcome, there`s nothing
either in the the TIPS guidelines (see the TIPS website at the
url in my signature file) or in our general practice which
requires this. Many of us (ahem!) have never done so. So the
blunder concern is unfounded. And if everyone who never
introduced now rushed to do it, we`d really be in trouble.

But I personally like to see a signature file, even though this
isn't required by TIPS guidelines either (which rarely concerns
us, anyway). It usually provides the minimum information to
satisfy my curiosity about the writer. Some lists do insist on
it. But even if we don`t, it seems like basic netiquette to me.

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/