At 09:01 AM 2/14/2001 -0600, you wrote:

Tipsters,

Help! In an impulsive moment I agreed to speak to our campus environmental group about psychology and the environment (at least I didn't get too specific). Now time is running short and I'm having a heck of a time finding sources. Possible topics would include beneficial effects of outdoor experiences, etc. Any help would earn my eternal gratitude.

Thanks,
Fen

S.A. Fenwick, Ph.D.
Dept. of Psychology
Augustana College
Rock Island, IL 61201
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<<<<

This is a somewhat different approach, but you might also discuss the role that psychology can play in encouraging environmental-friendly behavior. Scott Geller of Virginia Tech has done a bunch of work on community-based behavior management, using behavior management techniques to encourage seat belt use, safe driving techniques, and (for your purposes) encouraging pro-environmental behavior. The point is that encouraging recycling, energy conservation, etc., is largely a problem of modifying people's behavior, and as psychologists we're supposed to be experts in that sort of thing. Geller's research has examined a variety of ways of doing that. A few relevant references from a quick and dirty search of Psych Info:

Title: Encouraging college students to support pro-environment
behavior: Effects of direct versus indirect rewards.
Author(s): Boyce, Thomas E.; Geller, E. Scott
Affiliation: U Nevada, Dept of Psychology, Reno, NV, US
Source: Environment & Behavior, 2001 Jan Vol 33(1) 107-125.

Title: Integrating behaviorism and humanism for environmental
protection.
Author(s): Geller, E. Scott
Affiliation: Virginia Polytechnic Inst & State U, Dept of Psychology,
Blacksburg, VA, USA
Source: Journal of Social Issues, 1995 Win Vol 51(4) 179-195.

Title: Comparing interventions to motivate work-site collection
of home-generated recyclables.
Author(s): Needleman, Lawrence D.; Geller, E. Scott
Affiliation: Virginia Polytechnic Inst & State U, USA
Source: American Journal of Community Psychology, 1992 Dec Vol
20(6) 775-785.

Title: It takes more than information to save energy.
Author(s): Geller, E. Scott
Affiliation: Virginia Polytechnic Inst & State U, USA
Source: American Psychologist, 1992 Jun Vol 47(6) 814-815.

This might also give the environmental group some ideas for future projects.

Bob

Robert T. Herdegen III
Department of Psychology
Hampden-Sydney College