It sounded to me as if this was a form of patterning therapy, but I am
not sure. If this is a form of "patterning," then yes, there are reasons
to be very wary:

"Patterning is a series of exercises designed to improve the 'neurologic
organization' of a child's neurologic impairments. It requires that
these exercises be performed over many hours during the day by several
persons who manipulate a child's head and extremities in patterns
purporting to simulate prenatal and postnatal movements of nonimpaired
children." (from a policy statement by the American Academy of
Pediatrics)

There are two policy statements you should read, one from the American
Academy of Pediatrics and the other from the National Congress on Down
Syndrome. I provide the links below:

http://www.aap.org/policy/re9919.html

http://www.members.carol.net/~ndsc/doman.html

Jeff

--
Jeffry P. Ricker, Ph.D.          Office Phone:  (480) 423-6213
9000 E. Chaparral Rd.            FAX Number: (480) 423-6298

"Science must begin with myths and with the criticism of myths"
                  Karl Popper

Listowner: Psychologists Educating Students to Think Skeptically (PESTS)

http://www.sc.maricopa.edu/sbscience/pests/index.html