I disagree that this is non-psychology related!  In fact,
I use this problem the first day of my intro classes.  I
tell them that they don't really understand how their own
brains work, and that psychology is going to help them
learn a little more about this part of their anatomy.

The example I use is that most of them think that they
can add a few numbers in their heads, but none of them
think that they can do calculus in their heads.  They
(nearly) all agree with this.  I then proceed to use
(a variation) of the problem below to show them that
they (at least sometimes) -can't- add numbers in their
heads.  I then hand a volunteer a balled-up piece of
paper and have them throw it into a waste-can as I
carry it quickly by in front of them (about 6-8 ft. away).
Most everyone can do this on the first try.  This is
a calculus problem, of course (related rates), which we
routinely do (I give other examples, like crossing the street,
and I usually get a few laughs by pointing out the squirrels
are NOT good at calculus).

[see, it's -all- psychology!]

bob k.

Robert Keefer               Associate Professor
Psychology Department       Office Phone:
Mt. St. Mary's College      (301) 447-5394, Ext. 4251
Emmitsburg, MD  21727       e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[Speaking for myself.]      fax: 301-447-5021