Hi folks,
        Just wanted to mention that there are human cultures where smell is
considered equally important if not more so than vision.  I can't speak for
them having more words for smells, but the interested should consult the
following article, which is one of my favorites anyway.

                      Ethnopsychologies: Cultural variations in theories of
mind. (Print (Paper); Journal Article) Lillard,  Angeline. Psychological
Bulletin, 1998 Jan Vol 123(1) 3-32

Joe Hatcher
Ripon College
Ripon, Wi USA