This question requires a fairly complex answer.  First, taste in the everyday
sense is actually a combination of taste and smell.  The sense of taste is
mediated  by taste buds, and consists strictly of salt, sour, sweet, and bitter
(and umami according to mostly the Japanese researchers).  Smell, on the other
hand, has an indefinitely large number of qualities, which do not constitute a
simple dimensionality.  And smell has many more types of receptors (dozens, and
perhaps many more) whereas color has only three.   Further, the questioner is
correct that most smells are identified as "like something," rather than a pure
odor-related descriptor.  Bill Cain holds that odor is used to identify objects
and help us decide what to do with them, rather than to describe them verbally.
It is well known that odors are hard to label, and also that odor makes more
direct connections to the limbic system than other senses.

Hope this helps.

don
Donald McBurney
University of Pittsburgh

who has become mainly a lurker and frequently a zapper of most postings from TIPS
because of the silly nature of many exchanges.