Roderick:
    Oh gosh. The last time I mentioned the Bible was in mentioning Old Testament
polygamy (on the question of whether we are polygamous like most other mammals). But
that's a reversal of your question, right? Using Bible as human history to support
science, versus using science to support religion.

"Roderick D. Hetzel" wrote:

> Hi everyone:
>
> As usual, it's an interesting conversation whenever we discuss religion on this
> list.  To play "devil's advocate" (pun intended), although I wouldn't use
> Scripture to date the age of the universe, the principles of the Bible are
> actually very consistent with modern psychological knowledge and human nature.
> I make this assertion as a Christian and a psychologist.
>
> However, is the Bible appropriate to use in a classroom at a secular university?
> The answer to that question is obviously (to me) no.  On the other hand, if
> students come to you during office hours and want help in understanding the
> science of psychology from a Christian perspective, can we talk with them and
> help them in this endeavor?  If discussing Christian theology falls within your
> area of competence, the answer is a resounding yes.  In fact, to be in adherence
> to the principles of the Ethical Guidelines of the APA, I would argue that we
> need to be sensitive to the religious and spiritual worldviews of our students
> and act in a way that affirms and does not diminish their faith worldviews.
> Note that this does not mean that we can not challenge our students to continue
> to develop their worldviews, but I'm afraid too many of my colleagues in
> psychology push their own scientific worldview in a manner that offends and
> excludes those with faith-based worldviews.  The problem is that many people
> (including, and perhaps especially, psychologists) have only a cursory
> understanding of Scripture and Christian principles.  That leads them to the
> conclusion that what is in the Bible can not possibly be consistent with our
> "enlightened" contemporary perspectives.  So, I would suggest that we attempt to
> broaden our own perspectives by considering the possibility that Christian
> theology and scholarly inquiry in psychology may be complementary rather than
> contradictory.

John W. Kulig                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology             http://oz.plymouth.edu/~kulig
Plymouth State College               tel: (603) 535-2468
Plymouth NH USA 03264                fax: (603) 535-2412
"What a man often sees he does not wonder at, although he knows
not why it happens; if something occurs which he has not seen before,
he thinks it is a marvel" - Cicero.