Its seems clear that we are dealing with two kinds of epistemolgy. The
method of authority and the scientific method. The method of authority,
which we all use when we look up a word in a dictionary, utilizes a source
which is generally agreed upon as the final answer. If you spell the word
declivaty in that way it is "wrong" and the dictionary is the authority. The
scientific method attempts to determine knowledge by examining data. Those
using the method of authority cannot be dissuaded by data, statistics or
anything else. Those that believe in the Bible as the innerrant word of God,
will find justification for their answers in the "authority" There cannot be
a meaningful dialogue about whether a fact is right or wrong if the two
individuals use different epistemological sources
Both methods can be useful, but the wise person knows which to use in what
situation.
A counselor who accepts the Bible as the final authority and who encounters
a situation in which psychological theory is in conflict which the Bible,
must rely on "authority". Unfortunately, Biblical authority often conflicts
with psychological theory hence the these discussions.
Harry Avis Ph.D.
Sierra College
Rocklin, CA 95677

Life is opinion - Marcus Aurelius
There is nothing that is good or bad, but that thinking makes it so     -
Shakespeare