I haven't been following my digests very closely these last weeks but my
attention has been caught by the discussions of the above topics.

I am a Bible believing Christian, British.  From what I can see I share
Jim's beliefs and theology quite closely and have appreciated what, to
me, have been clear and non-controversial statements of belief that may
not be mainstream beliefs among the listmembers.  Thank you Jim.  I've
been impressed with replies too I should add.

Personally I don't regard the question of creationism as being terribly
important in theological terms (feel free to ask off list if you want to
know why); but we have nothing, absolutely nothing, in Britain which
compares remotely with the debates that appear to go on in the States.
Indeed recently a famous scientist (Richard Dawkins)  railed against
church schools simply because they might inculcate religious beliefs -
no one has even considered teaching creationism.  This combined with my
own profound christian convictions makes reading about the debate in
this list of great, though rather remote, interest to me.  One point of
interest to me is the similarity in the strength of feeling engendered
on both sides of the debate and sometimes an apparent inability to
respond to an argument that starts with different underlying
assumptions.  I have sometimes characterised this as fundementalist
thinking, on both sides of the debate.  Fundementalist may have
different implications in Britain but I see  and hear quite a lot of
fundementalist darwinism and humanism dressed as scientific orthodoxy
from time to time.

As a counsellor I was also interested in - and somewhat surprised by -
the comments on Christianity and counselling.  In particular, the
suggestion that Christian counsellors may not or should not or cannot
accept the views of somebody who has different views from themselves, or
indeed that an non christian would be unable to accept the implied
belief of the christian client that the counsellor was bound for hell.

Surely there is no counsellor anywhere that expects the client to be a
carbon copy of their own beliefs and values.  Would it be desirable if
there was?  I don't intend to open a new thread on cross cultural
counselling, but I would worry if I thought that teachers were teaching
that we can only work with those we agree with.

Equally the comment about shifting deckchairs on the Titanic is an
interesting point and I've no doubt that there are some in the church
who would agree with it - in fact there is probably a majority of the
population of Britain, churched or unchurched, who would suggest that
counselling in general is a waste of time and we should pull ourselves
together and get on with life.  However Christian teaching is actually
about love (not damnation), even for people who don't agree with you, so
why wouldn't we want to help them?

Finally I'd like to address the question of how offensive Christian
beliefs may be to other faiths or at least the expression of them.  I
don't doubt that some are offended, but beware of the presumption of
offense.  My experience of discussions with people of faith (I would not
include agnostics and athiests generally would not include themselves in
this category) is that they appreciate the faith of others.  Speaking
for myself I know I am not offended by the beliefs of other religions
(who mostly regard me and others on this list who do not share their
faith as destined - in the immortal phrase - for "a bad place").  I was
offended by one party who listened to my beliefs (which are exclusive in
nature) and then dismissed them by saying "that is fine for you as other
beliefs are for other".  I would have been more honest to say that she
could not accept or agree with the exclusivity of my beliefs as she
could only believe in doctrines which can accept alternatives in
others.  I don't know if I've explained that very well - I suppose the
key is that people of faith appreciate faith in others even when they
don't agree and don't appreciate having their strongly felt believes
devalued in an attempt to make mutually exclusive values fit each other.

I think that part of our role as teachers is to demonstate and teach the
importance of accepting people and their beliefs/values in taking them
seriously even if we don't agree with them.

Regards
David

--
David L Gent