Joe Horton wrote (in part):

> How would you handle having
> multiple sections of the same class which are very different in
> levels of student participation?  I have three sections of general
> psych this semester and they have very different paces.  I have one
> class where the students ask lots of questions which is great. But
> what do I do in my classes where the students do not participate
> as much (They answer my questions but to not ask their own.)?
> Do I cover more material in those classes, let them out early, or
> are there good techniques for getting those students to speak more
> in class?

    I recommend a technique that my graduate advisor used to use in seminar
classes.  If participation wasn't occurring at the level he wanted, he would
say (in an accepting, non-accusatory way): "That's all I am going to say until
at least five students make comments."    Then he would stick to this (it
helped that he was a good therapist who had no problem with handling
silences).  It didn't take long for this technique to work, and its effects
were usually long-lasting.  Once the ice was broken by the five comments,
discussion was underway.

Retta

--
Retta E. Poe, Ph.D.