This article from The Chronicle of Higher Education
(http://chronicle.com) was forwarded to you from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The following message was enclosed:
  Hi all,

  The attached Chronicle of Higher Ed piece is relevant to
  recent discussions about the relation between science and
  philosophy (it's written by Howard Gardner).

  -Mike

  From the issue dated March 9, 2001

  The Philosophy-Science Continuum

  By HOWARD GARDNER

   Our age is marked by the triumph of science. Greek
  philosophers may have been the first to raise questions about
  the nature of matter, living entities, knowledge, will, truth,
  beauty, and goodness. In recent centuries, however, philosophy
  has steadily been yielding ground, enthusiastically or
  reluctantly, to empirical science. Why speculate endlessly
  about the physical or biological or psychological world, for
  example, when you can carry out laboratory experiments, make
  precise measurements, test predictions, and revise proposed
  explanatory theories in light of findings? If there are
  material or psychic costs to this unflinchingly empirical
  approach, most of us have little desire to confront them.

  For many of us, the heartland of philosophical and scientific
  inquiry is the human mind. Nowadays, interdisciplinary
  discussion about the disputed nature of this territory takes
  place chiefly in scholarly journals or on  Internet sites.It
  is rare to encounter a full-length book in which scholars
  representing competing approaches have the leisure to lay out
  their positions, undertake substantial interchanges with one
  another, and provide examples. There was the 1977 discussion
  of Self and Its Brain, a dialogue between the philosopher Karl
  R. Popper and the neuroscientist John C. Eccles. That work
  stood out because both authors took a dualistic approach to
  the mind and the body: Such a frank separation of mind and
  matter is increasingly rare in philosophy and virtually unique
  in recent neuroscience. More recently, in 1995, the
  neuroscientist Jean-Pierre Changeux and the mathematician
  Alain Connes conducted an interchange that was translated into
  English as Conversations on Mind, Matter, and Mathematics
  (Princeton University Press, 1995). That book indicates how
  difficult the genre can be: The two debaters proceeded from
  such different premises and were sufficiently dismissive of
  each other that they resembled two French tankers passing each
  other at midnight.

  In any debate conducted in the new millennium, it is likely
  that philosophy -- and particularly humanistic, as opposed to
  more scientifically oriented analytic, philosophy -- will
  appear on the defensive. Science has glamour, muscle, powerful
  theories and methods, dramatic findings, and the promise of
  additional ones next week. Philosophy may tout its
  venerability, but it often appears preoccupied with the
  decidedly less sexy weapons of definitions, clarifications,
  doubts, and "thought [as opposed to 'real'] experiments."

  Still, philosophers past and present have refused to give up
  the struggle without a fight. With respect to issues of the
  mind, Immanuel Kant once argued that a science of psychology
  was impossible; later, Ludwig Wittgenstein ridiculed both
  psychologists and philosophers for routinely speaking past one
  another. In our own day, Thomas Nagel has written persuasively
  about the impossibility of capturing experience ("What is it
  like to be a bat?" he has asked); Hubert Dreyfus has
  denigrated computer-based efforts to simulate human thought;
  and John Searle has issued similar indictments against
  artificial intelligence, insisting that human consciousness
  has a unique biological status that sets people apart from all
  known machines.

  Indeed, when it comes to questions of the human mind,
  consciousness, and experience, philosophers retain one
  powerful weapon. Put bluntly, a good many people -- especially
  those who consider themselves humanists -- still prefer to
  believe that there is something special about human beings,
  some properties that do not lend themselves to explanations in
  the same way that one can explain the structure of the
  universe or the anatomy of the cell or the food preferences of
  other animals.

  Copernicus marginalized our planet; Darwin marginalized our
  species; Freud marginalized our conscious and rational life.
  Many, if not most, of us still believe that, as people, we
  retain a privileged relationship to religious beliefs, works
  of art, loves and hates, dreams and fantasies, and moral
  sentiments -- in short, for want of a less cliched term, the
  realm of the spirit. In some sense, when philosophers and
  scientists put on the gloves, we hope that philosophers will
  strike at least a few powerful blows on behalf of the human
  part of human nature.

  A recent attempt to join the discussion between science and
  humanistic philosophy illustrates where the argument is at
  present. In the mid-1990's, Changeux, again representing the
  scientific viewpoint, debated the philosopher Paul Ricoeur,
  producing a work that was first published in France in 1998.
  Recently, Princeton University Press translated the book into
  English, as What Makes Us Think?: A Neuroscientist and a
  Philosopher Argue about Ethics, Human Nature, and the Brain.
  It is a much more thoughtful and more productive effort than
  the Changeux-Connes book, but it also has limitations. And it
  is in the blind spots of both participants that we find hints
  of a more fruitful division of labor between science and
  philosophy.

  The two thinkers lock horns about the grandest of issues: the
  nature of mind, brain, religion, art, morality, and
  consciousness. Neither can claim to speak for his entire
  discipline. Ricoeur's philosophical perspective features an
  emphasis on phenomenology (the close analysis of the world as
  perceived by the knowing subject), hermeneutics (principles
  for studying and interpreting texts, notably biblical ones),
  and reflectivity (introspection about the activities of the
  mind). As a spokesman for the humanistic branch of
  contemporary philosophy, he is remote from the considerations
  of Anglo-American philosophers like John Searle, Jerry Fodor,
  or Daniel Dennett. Those "philosophers of mind," as they are
  sometimes called, often accept the findings of cognitive and
  neural science and direct philosophical tools toward their
  explication. Dennett, for example, has been deeply involved in
  efforts to explain consciousness on the basis of experimental
  studies, while Fodor has explored the "language of thought"
  and the nature of different cognitive faculties on the basis
  of psychological and linguistic studies.

  Changeux's research has focused on the structure and function
  of proteins, the nature of neurotransmitters, the early
  development of the nervous system, the rivalry among -- and
  eventual stabilization of -- neural connections, and, most
  recently, computer simulations of those connections. He has
  done little work at the "cognitive end" of mental processing
  that has occupied scholars like Dennett and Fodor. Nor, as a
  researcher, has he concerned himself directly with distinctly
  human capacities like language or self-consciousness.

  Nonetheless, the broad terms of the debate and the erudition
  of the debaters provide considerable insight into how certain
  neuroscientists and philosophers attack enigmas that first
  occupied the ancient Greeks. Yet the blinders that both
  scholars wear obscure two promising rapprochements: one based
  on the fact that different scholarly disciplines have
  distinctive contributions to make to our study of the mind,
  the other on the need to understand the differences between
  universal (specieswide) experiences and the experiences of
  individual actors in specific times and places. Changeux,
  unfortunately, reaches out to effect connections between brain
  and mind, but only on his terms, while Ricoeur fails to
  discern bridges across an epistemological chasm.

  As a practicing scientist, Changeux stresses two themes
  throughout: the steady progress of science and the connecting
  links across the sciences. He cites a number of significant
  advances in his own area of expertise, among them: the
  demonstration that specific sites in the brain correlate with
  specific cognitive or behavioral functions; the recognition
  that the central nervous system is capable not merely of
  reaction, but also of anticipatory and intentional behavior;
  the emergence of imaging techniques that allow us to observe
  what is actually occurring in regions of the brain in vivo;
  and the discovery and increased understanding of psychotropic
  drugs that can change our moods.

  Seeking connections between that understanding of the brain
  and an understanding of the mind and consciousness, Changeux
  makes it clear that mastery of brain science and appreciation
  of the principles of evolution are key. He traces, for
  example, the mystical ecstasies of Teresa of Avila, a
  16th-century Roman Catholic saint, to epileptic fits. Turning
  to issues of morality, Changeux finds the basis of human moral
  behavior in the principle of group selection, which favors
  cooperation among members of the group; and in the striking
  fact that animals resist injuring vulnerable members of their
  own species. He even discerns the evolutionary basis of the
  arts in those perceptual capacities that focus on certain
  salient forms and patterns and on the emotional reactions that
  reliably accompany such perceptions.

  Drawing on a familiar analogy, we might see Changeux as an
  intellectual "lumper." In a manner reminiscent of E. O.
  Wilson's "consilience," he ties diverse facets of disciplines
  together through evolutionary theory and bases his analyses on
  the foundation of brain science and genetics. By contrast,
  Ricoeur is a "splitter." He continually underscores the
  importance of separate discourses, the limitations of each
  science and of science in general, and the privileged status
  of agency, intention, and meaning when discussing human
  beings. For Ricoeur, connection means the important bonds that
  make up holistic experience, a holism that is differentiated,
  dissected, or decontextualized at its peril.

  The difference between lumpers and splitters can be seen in
  the discussion of the nature of artistic perception. At one
  point, Ricoeur states, "I see with my eyes." Changeux retorts,
  "I would say that I need my eyes in order to see. One speaks,
  for example, of the 'eye' of a connoisseur of art. But one
  really ought to speak of his brain, which is to say of his
  memory of the painting he has seen and of his ability to judge
  how a work that he contemplated compares with others that he
  has committed to memory." Donning the perspective of the
  phenomenologist, with a touch of the quibbling lawyer, Ricoeur
  counters, "One is right to speak of the connoisseur's eye
  rather than his brain. ... I see with my eyes, because my eyes
  belong to my bodily experience, whereas my brain does not
  belong to my bodily experience. It is an object of science.
  That is to say that the 'with' does not function in the same
  way when I see with my eyes and when I think with my cortex."

  In a fascinating passage, Changeux describes how particular
  cells respond when a subject sees color. Contrary to what most
  researchers would have predicted, the cells respond not to the
  absolute wavelengths of the color, but rather to "perceived
  color," which remains the same perceptually despite changes in
  the composition of the light. Says Changeux: "In all
  conditions in which the subject sees red, for example, the
  neurons that correspond to this color are activated. ..."
  Ricoeur predictably interrupts to add that he must mean: "What
  we are going to call 'color' in mental language." Conceding
  the point, Changeux stresses that we are now able to make an
  exact connection between actual mental experience and recorded
  physiological activity. Not satisfied, Ricoeur asks whether it
  is proper to "identify" mental experience with observed
  neuronal activity; and he goes on to question the
  correspondence between the experimental field, on the one
  hand, and the view that the subject holds about himself and
  his brain, on the other. Undeterred, Changeux declares, "This
  function is precisely established by the subject's own view of
  his perception of colors." In other words, phenomenological
  testimony confirms the operation of color-constant cells.

  To those who follow scientific breakthroughs, Changeux's mode
  of argument will strike a familiar chord. Hardly a week goes
  by without a press report that scientists have discovered the
  gene for X or put forth an evolutionary explanation for
  phenomenon Y. For his part, Ricoeur offers two intriguing
  lines of argument that are, perhaps, more familiar to readers
  of Continental philosophy than to readers of Anglo-American
  philosophy of the mind.

  The first has to do with artificiality. The scientist is
  condemned to draw inferences from situations that are
  inherently contrived and unrepresentative of the whole of
  experience. Ricoeur adds that careful analysis of ordinary
  experiences in their fullness eventually bring us to "one's
  heart of hearts -- a forum in which one speaks to oneself. The
  heart of hearts has its own particular status that it would
  appear you will never succeed in explaining in your science."
  ("Why do you say 'never'?" Changeux wonders aloud.)

  Ricoeur's second line of argument draws attention to
  intentions and meanings. Once one enters the world of human
  experience, one is necessarily wrapped up in a discourse of
  beliefs, desires, and meanings. That tapestry of integrated
  notions has undoubted significance to a person; but it remains
  beyond the access of the external observer.

  Throughout the debate, Ricoeur objects to attempts to
  "naturalize" the human condition. While recognizing
  intimations of human behaviors in the activities of animals,
  he will not accept that such activities can be described, let
  alone justified, in terms of having common origins. They must
  always be explicated in terms of their place within a
  meaningful human community, with its specific history and
  culture. Ricoeur also refuses to conflate actions based on
  instincts with actions based on a sense of responsibility;
  that latter sense can only emanate from conscious human
  agents, operating in a voluntary manner within a network of
  rights and responsibilities.

  At the end, we confront two gaps that these thinkers are
  unable to bridge. There is the disciplinary gap. On one hand
  stands a practicing scientist, who believes that the tools of
  his trade will allow him to make progress in understanding, if
  not completely illuminating, the deepest questions of human
  existence. On the other stands a practicing philosopher from a
  Continental European background, who remains convinced of the
  parochialism of science and who prefers the close study and
  analysis of experience, the careful interpretation of sacred
  and secular texts, and the capacity for reflection and for
  reflection upon reflection. Then there is the discourse gap.
  One, scientific, frame of reference describes human behavior
  and thought from an external vantage point; the other,
  philosophical or humanistic, describes human activity from
  within, as the realized experience of the mind, the spirit,
  the soul. Changeux believes in continuity, that one can move
  from the external to the internal; Ricoeur believes in a
  fundamental discontinuity, that we will never be able to span
  that gap in inherently alien universes.

  I approached this book -- and, indeed, the entire topic --
  with ambivalence. As a social scientist with ties to cognitive
  science and neuroscience, I have a professional faith that
  major philosophical conundrums have been, and will continue to
  be, illumined by scientific work. No terrain should be
  declared "off limits" to scientists. And I am impressed by the
  scientific advances described by Changeux. At the same time, I
  have equally strong links to the world of humanistic
  scholarship and practice. Much of my work has focused on the
  nature of artistic expression and experience, and I have
  little doubt that the core of the arts lies remote from
  current scientific understanding -- and even from scientific
  promissory notes. I also believe in the indispensability of
  cultural and historical studies and do not see them ever
  replaced by, or reduced to, a natural or social-scientific
  stance. Indeed, I am suspicious of reductionist efforts,
  whether in the hands of a physical materialist, a molecular
  biologist, or an evolutionary psychologist.

  I wish, therefore, that these debaters had treated two loosely
  related issues that, I believe, could help dissolve the
  perennial tension between science and philosophy.

  The first has to do with what I would call "forms of
  explanation." Dating back to the 17th century, scholars have
  agreed that it makes sense to think of human psychology as
  consisting of a set of ordered components. Closest to neuronal
  analysis, and most powerfully shared with other animals, are
  our capacities to sense and to perceive. I fully expect that
  biological science can provide reasonably complete
  explanations of such capacities, which lie at one end of a
  continuum. One can proceed to order other capacities spanning
  the continuum, from concept formation and categorization, to
  linguistic and other forms of communication, and all the way
  to religious, moral, and artistic systems. The sciences of
  experimental psychology, linguistics, and evolutionary
  psychology can provide insight into these broader-gauged
  capacities -- and the Anglo-American brand of philosophy also
  makes its contributions here. Yet, as one proceeds from left
  to right along the continuum, the explanatory power of the
  basic sciences is steadily attenuated, and one needs
  increasingly to bring to bear other disciplinary tools,
  including those of semiotics (symbol analysis), ethics,
  aesthetics, and humanistic philosophy. Indeed, at the "right"
  end of the continuum, cogent accounts can only be put forth if
  they draw heavily on historical and cultural studies like
  anthropology and literary analysis. It is not that religious
  beliefs or aesthetic standards and experiences stand apart
  from atoms and neurons; rather, it is that the most powerful
  and persuasive accounts will succeed only if they bring to
  bear the insights of humanistic forms of explanation.

  I share Changeux's faith in continua, then, but not in the
  locus where he places his accent mark. In my view, there is
  nothing privileged about the most basic atomic or neuronal
  level; the great chain of being, the braid of consilience, if
  you will, simply reflects different points along a single
  continuum. Physics or biology have no more important a role to
  play in our understanding of human consciousness than ethics
  or religion.

  In essence, there is no gulf between behavior and soul; nor is
  there a need to insist that science and philosophy have
  nothing to say to each other. At each point on the continuum,
  a somewhat different blend of disciplines and intellectual
  tools must be drawn upon. Cultural and historical factors are
  needed to explain how genes are expressed in different
  contexts; genetic analysis is needed to reveal historical and
  cultural potentialities; philosophy -- both Anglo-American and
  humanistic varieties -- is needed (as in the present analysis)
  to define and identify those different perspectives. That is,
  after all, why we have, and will continue to have,
  universities: to provide a place where different disciplines
  can flourish and -- in the happiest of circumstances -- speak
  to, rather than past, one another.

  The other issue that has been too much neglected has to do
  with the nature of individual creations and experiences. While
  Changeux and Ricoeur touch sporadically on this, they don't
  really explore its possibilities for bridging the
  science-humanism gap. We share many properties with our fellow
  humans. And yet, each of us -- even identical twins, as
  Changeux has pointed out elsewhere -- has a unique nervous
  system. Each of us is interestingly different from every other
  member of Homo sapiens, and, indeed, from the way in which we
  ourselves were years ago and will be (if we are lucky) years
  hence.

  Individuality extends equally to our experience. To take the
  most dramatic instance, the works of art that affect a person
  are revealingly different from one another. We do not listen
  to Beethoven for the same experience we seek from Mozart or
  Stravinsky. Moreover, what is distinctive about the opening
  bars of Mozart's 40th symphony sets it apart from other Mozart
  works: It is what makes that symphony intriguing, and why we
  may choose to listen to it or program it, rather than to the
  (equally beautiful) openings of the 39th or the 41st
  symphonies. Paraphrasing the composer Arnold Schoenberg,
  "style" is what cuts across the works of a person or era;
  "idea" is what makes each distinctive and precious.

  A scientific analysis may explain what stylistic features
  attract or repel our attention in general. It is likely to
  fail in attemptsto account for the individuality of the
  person, the individuality of the workof art, and, above all,
  the individuality of each person's experience of a work. Nor,
  despite phenomenology and hermeneutics, do I think that such
  individuality can be adequately illuminated by philosophical
  tools -- in fact, the idiosyncrasies of experience are more
  likely to be authentically captured in a powerful work of
  literature than explained by philosophical analysis. I do not
  deplore this state of affairs -- I rejoice in it.

  Just as scientific explanations lose cogency as they move
  across the continuum of our capacities, so they lose their
  power as we move across the continuum of individuality. We may
  well be able to generalize across all organisms on some
  topics, across all human beings or, say, all infants on
  others. But when it comes to the case of an individual member
  of a particular culture living in a particular historical
  moment, it is overwhelmingly likely that we will not be able
  to predict any but the most mundane beliefs or experiences. In
  a similar vein, when it comes to human experiences of works of
  art, it is likely that we will be able to offer some reasoned
  speculations about features of works of music or art that
  might appeal across time and space. But when it comes to
  explaining why A likes the Mozart 40th symphony better than
  the 39th, and why C recently changed her preference, we must
  turn to humanistic scholarship or works of art for the most
  plausible explanations.

  Thinking about what part of the continuum science can
  illuminate, what part humanism can clarify, and where both are
  needed, might even help us bridge the chasm between scientific
  and philosophic analyses of human consciousness. For
  centuries, humanists have cherished consciousness as their
  domain -- the peculiarly human (and perhaps higher-animal)
  capacity to feel and to think, and to be aware of feelings and
  thoughts. For most of the last century, behavioral scientists
  eschewed that territory, sometimes aggressively so. But in
  recent years, cognitive scientists and neuroscientists have at
  least begun an assault on the fortress. For the first time, we
  are beginning to get searching discussions of what the
  neuroscientist Antonio Damasio calls "the feeling of what
  happens," which combine scientific and humanistic analysis to
  describe the levels and varieties of consciousness that
  characterize subjective, interior life.

  From my point of view, consciousness is no more or less
  privileged than the other topics. Some aspects of
  consciousness will lend themselves readily to the kinds of
  scientific experimentation and analysis prescribed by
  Changeux, while others will call for the sorts of historical
  and cultural studies that emanate from humanists like Ricoeur.
  To expect science or philosophy ever to explain your peculiar
  consciousness as you read and reflect on these words is,
  however, a fool's errand: As Einstein once quipped, "The
  purpose of chemistry is not to re-create the taste of the
  soup."

  Howard Gardner teaches developmental psychology at the Harvard
  Graduate School of Education. His most recent books are The
  Disciplined Mind: Beyond Facts and Standardized Tests, the
  K-12 Education That Every Child Deserves (Penguin USA, 2000)
  and Intelligence Reframed: Multiple Intelligences for the 21st
  Century (Basic Books, 2000).