Al Cone wrote:

> Folks,
> I think we can claim Georg von Bekesy who got the Nobel Prize for
> Physiology or Medicine in 1961.  He was at Harvard from 1947 to 1966

..where he was in fact a member of the Department of Psychology,
having come to the U.S. at the invitation of S.S. Stevens.  Bekesy's
office and lab were in the basement of Memorial Hall, which was in
those days occupied by the experimental psychologists.  He didn't do
any teaching, but from time to time he supervised a grad student's
research.  A brilliant, unassuming, broadly cultured gentleman.

Trivia note:  Jane Langton's novel "The Memorial Hall Murder"
includes a floorplan of the basement.  It's unlabeled but accurate,
so one can identify Bekesy's office and lab, as well as those of
Stevens, Skinner, and the now-notorious Herrnstein.

     --Charles
       Charles S. Harris, PhD
       webmaster, The Nurture Assumption home page:
                  http://xchar.home.att.net/tna/