I've used this modification of the Kingsfield procedure in my freshman General Psych
class with similar results.  My students were either ambivalent or very anxious about
it.   Having the opportunity to earn extra credit points didn't seem to be very
reinforcing for them.  I suspect that the embarrassment they felt when they missed an
answer was a more powerful consequence than the possibility that they might get a few
points.  In any event it didn't work; students did not prepare for class in
anticipation of having their card selected.  Providing the students with chapter
objectives and then randomly choosing one for a quiz before discussing the topic has
been much more successful for me.

Linda Walsh wrote:

> I used a modified version of the Kingsfield procedure in my Biopsych class one
> semester. I was hoping to motivate 1) prompt attendance, 2) reviewing of the
> notes from the previous class period,  while allowing me to connect new lecture
> material to that of the previous class period.I made a deck of half-index
> cards, with a card for each student in the class. Promptly, at the start of
> class, I had a student draw a random card. If that person was present, they got
> a point, if they answered a question on material from the previous class they
> got 2 or 3 points (depending on the question), which I recorded on the card. They
> could choose to pass on the question.I may draw up to 3 or 4 cards on a
> particular day. It worked reasonably well but the students were somewhat
> stressed by it.
>
> Linda Walsh
> University of Northern Iowa
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]