Nancy mentioned Szasz the other day, and it made me wonder just how
well his ideas are covered in psych classes.

I used to talk about his position in intro a little, but it seems
there's hardly time for it, and if I rush through other material at
his expense, students might come out with a biased view (though
Szasz's position is clearly that the mainstream view itself is
horribly biased). In sociology courses I devote more time to the
ideas.

I don't teach abnormal, but what about it? Do you folks cover Szasz
in courses on abnormal? Is it, uh, normal to do so?

I checked a few intro texts (I only have 7 here), and only one -
Weiten - had Szasz listed in the index (and devoted a paragraph to
his critique).

              --> Mike O.

  Michael S. Ofsowitz               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   University of Maryland - European Division
      http://faculty.ed.umuc.edu/~mofsowit