I've been looking at the original article in Nature (Anderson &
Green, 2001; thanks, David!). The authors themselves don't seem
to worry about the distinction between suppression and
repression. They use suppression in their title, for example, but
lead off their paper by discussing Freud and repression. The
critical point seems to be that either term implies that the
process is an active one, as opposed to mere forgetting.

And that's where I think the parallel to Freud's repression is
the weakest. They don't provide any evidence that the
demonstrated lack of knowledge of what was previously learned is
still lurking at some deeper level, only inaccessible to the
subjects. All they show is that the subjects no longer seem to
have the information, and that's not necessarily repression.
Perhaps they need to use something like the method of savings to
show that the information is retained, despite the subjects'
verbalizations to the contrary.

Relating your findings on the topic of learning nonsense pairs to
Freud is always a good way to attract attention. But Freud
himself wouldn't have been impressed. A hapless American named
Saul Rosenzweig got there before Anerson & Green, publishing an
experiment supposedly demonstrating repression back in 1934. He
wrote an excited letter to Freud about it. Freud was
underwhelmed, and essentially told him to bug off. In his reply,
Freud said he didn't need experimental evidence, he _knew_. I
expect he would say the same thing to Anderson & Green.

Nevertheless, it's an interesting phenomenon, and A & G have done
a good job in considering alternative hypotheses and shooting
them down. The basic finding, as I understand it, is that if you
learn a set of paired associates, and then practice _not_
remembering, later you find that you _can't_ remember.

For me (and, I think, for them), the critical comparison is
between 0 repetitions of practicing forgetting and 16. They show
a difference (reading off a very tiny graph) of something like
10% less remembering for the 16 repetitions group, which is
hardly a robust phenomenon (and certainly much, much less than
the kind of classic repression supposedly underlying much human
dysfunction). However, even that finding is open to other
interpretations, such as extinction or interference.

So their even more critical comparison is with another group,
which received a different cue than the original paired
associate, but one which would normally suggest the word in
question (e.g. if the target word was "roach", the hint was
"insect r__"). They still get an effect, which suggests that the
information is now gone or (sigh!), perhaps repressed. But the
effect is weaker still, something like only a  3-5% difference in
recall.

This is where I get sceptical. There were 32 subjects, which is a
healthy-sized group. But they provide minimal information
about their statistics, don't tell us whether one-tailed or two
(I'd object to one-tail, as I almost always do), and give no
indication of variability (SEs, for example). So is a 3-5%
difference enough on which to hang the claim of proof of
repression? I think I'll reserve judgement.

(One other thing I'd like to see is more examination of the exact
manoeuver that led to the effect. Their even more critical
comparison is between a group that tried to forget 16 times,
compared with trying to forget 0 times, and tested with a
different hint on testing (independent probe condition). Instead
of zero trials of trying to forget, perhaps those subjects could
get 16 trials of something else, say thinking about what they're
going to have for supper. If 16 trials of thinking about supper
produces less "repression" than 16 trials of trying to forget,
that would be interesting.)

-Stephen

Anderson, M., & Green, C. (2001). Suppressing unwanted memories
  by executive control. Nature, 410, 366-

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/