A comprehensive final exam is a good example of relearning with savings. If
students are given questions covering the entire semester, they must relearn
the same material they learned for the first time. I know of no evidence
that suggests that relearning material once increases long term retention. I
think a comprehensive final is a waste of time for an introductory class (I
could be persuaded if it were an upper division course). Students that do
well throughout the semester will do well on the final, I have yet to see a
poor student rise to the occasion of a final and get an outstanding grade.
Students that do well on earlier tests are not really integrating their
knowledge (my opinion of course) but simply relearning. If one wanted to
demonstrate that students had gained a broad overview of the course material
and could integrate the material with previous experience, I think a term
paper would be preferable since the student would have time to reflect on
the material and write the paper under less pressure than during an exam.
Maybe Ripon College is different than my college, but I think students who
learn would do so regardless of any testing method. Many students are
interested in achieving whatever grade they desire and are not interested in
reflecting back over the semester. I think the desire to "make a coherent
whole" is the peculiar property of faculty.

Harry Avis PhD
Sierra College
Rocklin, CA

If we live long enough, death comes to us all (unknown)
It takes a lot of courage to become the person you grew up to be. (Mine, I
think)

Harry Avis Ph.D.
Sierra College
Rocklin, CA 95677

Life is opinion - Plato
There is nothing that is good or bad, but that thinking makes it so     -
Shakespeare