Dear Tipsters,

I know that there are some problems withcumulative final exams
(e.g., large amount to remember, stress, studying for the exam. does
not mean you remember aftrerwards), but I believe in them for the
following reasons:

1. It permits an assessment of the degree to which people integrate
material. This is the most important goal for me.

2. It permits students to overcome earlier mistakes - if you know it
in the end that is what matters. I raise the in-class mid-term grade
a bit if the final exam. grade is better.

3. The stress is realistic - life outside academe may call for
performance under stressful conditions.

Sincerely,

Stuart

Stuart J. McKelvie, Ph.D.,                Phone: (819)822-9600
Department of Psychology,                 Extension 2402
Bishop's University,                      Fax: (819)822-9661
3 Route 108 East,
Lennoxville,                              e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Quebec J1M 1Z7,
Canada.

Bishop's University Psychology Department Web Page:
http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy