On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Jeff Ricker wrote:

> In the current issue of the NY Review of Books, there is an article by
> Oliver Sacks in which he reviews a book written [about] an autistic person. I
> have excerpted the first paragraph, but I just noticed that you can get
> the entire article at
> http://www.nybooks.com/nyrev/WWWfeatdisplay.cgi?20010329004F

Thank you, Jeff. Great article, and don't forget to click on the
two urls easily missed at the top of the article, which show
examples of Jessy Parks' remarkable artistic talent.

But I want to comment on this remark of Oliver Sacks (sorry, my
comment turned out longer than I expected):

"For many years autism was seen as a defensive withdrawal from
the world on the part of a child neglected and alienated by cold,
remote parents. Leo Kanner, who identified the condition and
named it, spoke here of refrigerator mothers."

For many years I agreed with the accusation that Leo Kanner
supported a psychogenic view. I used to tell my class that while
Kanner sometimes suggested that autism was inborn, at other times
he implied it was caused by the parents. I now think this is
unfair to Kanner.  In fact, Kanner himself protested against this