> >Ah, yes. Evolution is the evil work of the devil. Was that
> >intentional?
> >
> >And while we're on the topic, a thought, although I expect (with
> >trepidation) I'm going to hear from Jim Clark about it. We're
> >rightly outraged by the attempt by the religious right to censor
> >Darwin.  But we have no problem with censoring creationism from
> >textbooks, on the grounds that it's not science. True, it's not,
> >but why not let it in anyway?
>
> Because it confuses the issue.
> We try to teach students what science is, and then present an example of
> nonscience labeled as science. I'd have no problem with a biology text
> that included Creationism, Intelligent Design, whatever, and then analyzed
> it, pointing out why it is _not_ good science. However, I doubt that this
> would be acceptable to its proponents.

You're probably right.

Although, the reflexive response of "why this is not good science"
immediately steers the discussion in a negative direction.  Wouldn't it be
more fruitful to ask questions such as "why is X incapable of being
scientifically demonstrated?" or "do we have any scientific evidence for such
a claim?" (e.g., great glood)

> >The best response to an untenable position is reason, not
> >censorship. Why not allot the creationists one page to take their
> >best shot at evolution, and one page for the rebuttal. This will
> >give them an opportunity to make their case, even if not equal
> >time. Better to have it out in the open where the wrong-
> >headedness can be addressed. Otherwise students may just get it
> >elsewhere, and we won't have the chance to point out why it isn't
> >science. To labour the point, wouldn't it be more educational to
> >point out what's wrong with "creation science" or "intelligent
> >design" rather than to just suppress it?
>
> Ideally -- true.
> However, I suspect that the reality would be giving some high school
> science teachers carte blanche to teach religion under the guise of
> science.

I agree, but it would also open the door for others to take some more whacks
at religious folk.

Jim Guinee, Ph.D.

Director of Training & Adjunct Professor
President, Arkansas College Counselor Association
University of Central Arkansas Counseling Center
313 Bernard Hall    Conway, AR  72035    USA
(501) 450-3138 (office)  (501) 450-3248 (fax)

"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!
It comes bundled with the software."