In a message dated 3/29/2001 7:44:44 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Hello,

And it's almost always a challenge from a student to whom I'd like to say,
"Duh, could be because you failed the final, didn't hand in your paper and
only came to class half the time."  But I'm a disciple of Miss Manners, so
I don't.)

Why not say it? If it is true, I do.  Fall Semester 2000 I had almost half of
a class decide that the paper, shown as required on the syllabus, was
optional.  So I gave a lot of low grades and failures. I had one student go
to the ombudsman to complain about her grade. She decided to take the fourth
exam (I only require three) instead of write the paper.  She misrepresented
the issue and told them that I had given her that option. I had not and would
never.  I said I would consider changing her grade if she wrote the required
paper. I have received nothing from her.

Anybody else feel that multiple choice questions have a bigger safety harbor?

There is less room for complaining, but even an MC can be written poorly or
unclearly.  At any rate, I am trying not to be intimidated and blackmailed
out of teaching in the manner I think is best for all. I usually lose a few
students at the beginning of each semester when they see the writing
requirements of my classes. And I am coming to believe more and more that it
is their loss, not mine.

Nancy Melucci
ELAC