I know how much we all enjoy slamming test banks but I must say that we are
not being entirely fair.  I agree that there are plenty of terrible
questions in test banks (not even counting the bad questions created by
typos).  This is why I never create a test by randomly selecting questions
from the test bank.

However, test banks contain plenty of well-written questions that assess
basic knowledge.  You can even find questions that do a good job of
assessing understanding of concepts and application of theory.  There are
also weak and misleading questions that can be turned into great questions
if you are willing to do some thoughtful editing.  I could write all of
these questions myself, but I doubt the questions I would write would be
significantly different in form or content from those in the test bank.  I
don't see the point of writing yet another question to evaluate a student's
knowledge when perfectly good questions are available in a test bank.  By
not spending time writing these questions, I gain time to spend time
writing additional questions about new material I've added to the class.

In case you are wondering, no, I have not written any test banks.

Claudia

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.                e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology                Phone:  (850) 474 - 3163
University of West Florida              FAX:    (850) 857 - 6060
Pensacola, FL  32514 - 5751

Web:    http://www.uwf.edu/psych/stanny.html