These two standard tricks are dead easy.

1)  The tape and coins are no use whatever in preventing the person from seeing
out of a crack between the tape and the nose.  It is just necessary to squint a
little, and the tape will come free.  Putting the hand to the forehead as if
thinking hard helps, even if you don't touch the tape.  Basically there is no
blindfold short of a full head bag that will prevent seeing.  I did this for
many years with a cloth blindfold until presbyopia made it too hard to read
without glasses, which would be hard to explain being under a blindfold.

2)  The Amazing Kreskin did one similar--or maybe the exact same one--people
remember differently than what happened in such situations with great
regularity.  I suggest the following scenario:  Passes the deck with a rubber
band around it.  (The function of the rubber band is to make it more likely that
the person sees only one card.)  After everyone looks, he names three cards (or
as many cards as people who looked) and says to each in turn:  Is one of those
cards yours--Is one of those cards yours, etc.  Every card in the deck is
identical except the outside card.  Everyone saw the identical card, so everyone
said yes,  mine was one of those you named.

Remember, the simplest solution is probably the one used.

don
Donald McBurney
University of Pittsburgh