On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Donald H. McBurney wrote:

> Having contributed to the mind reading discussion, and having graded exams for
> decades, I feel it may be helpful to remark on this.  I have had students try
> essentially the same argument-- that they knew the material, they just couldn't
> say it.  I tell them that my  job is not to read their minds, but to read what
> is on the paper.  I already know the material, and I know what they are trying
> to say; their job is to say it.  Pretty obvious, but  it works.

When I've run into this one, the student uses it in a more subtle
way. In claiming that they really knew the material despite their
poor exam performance, they hint (or assert) that the cause was a
flawed exam.  That is, if I had done my job properly and prepared
an appropriate or "fair" exam, they would have been able to
demonstrate their mastery of the course. They would consider the
"I'm not a mind-reader" defense irrelevant to their real
complaint, which is that the problem is a deficient exam, not
deficient knowledge.

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/