It's not one or the other.  I look harder for possible ambiguities in a
question if the difficulty & discrimination indices are out of whack.  FWIW,
I try to emphasize to the class that my adjustments are not a "curve."
Instead, I am introducing a "correction factor"  for bad questions.  I
suspect that the difference is lost on them but it makes me feel better.
And to give Michael an "amen": both he and I  have reputations as being
pretty tough and neither of us has a problem with grade inflation.  That
makes it a lot easier to play "Mr. Niceguy."
Ed
Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D., Department of Psychology,  Husband, father,
grandfather, biopsychologist, herpetoculturist and bluegrass fiddler.... not
necessarily in order of importance.