On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, jim clark wrote:

> Hi
>
> A student just passed on an article on Psychotherapy in the May
> 2001 issue of Stuff (a magazine for men, I gather).  Here is the
> lead:
>
> "Psychotherapists! First they feed your fears! Then they drive
> you nuts! Then they suck your wallet dry! Then they completely
> flip out! Who are these people?"
>
> Here are some more choice quotes "What can you say about a
> profession that pretends to be therapeutic but is no more science
> than cheerleading or disco?"  "Whether they're playing counselor
> to teenagers or taching their own special kind of 'science' over
> at Suck U, the're all making it up as they go along."  "In fact,
> psychology is what religion would look like if God were a
> self-absorbed moron.  The universal church for this kind of thing
> is the American Psychological Association."  "If you go to
> someone with your problems and he has an APA certificate on the
> wall, for God's sake, run for your life.  He's crazier than you
> will ever be."
>
> It provides a number of Proxmire-like reviews of research.
> "Research has shown that impulsivity, learning difficulties, low
> IQ or fearlessness can make someone prone to violence.
> Translation: stupid people get into fights."  After a longer
> discussion of research on childhood aggression ... "The APA
> disguised the report as science.  The newspapers disguised the
> junk science as news."  After a brief description of the
> separation of APS (and a positive allusion to an APS report on
> "The scientific status of projective techniques"), "So the APA
> dropped the word scientific from its definition of psychology; it
> was a rare concession to the truth, although it certainly doesn't
> stop the psychos from pretending that they're doing science
> anyway.  But what a mad science!"  "In the hands of psychos,
> science has been transformed into an agent for the wackiest forms
> of liberal political correctness."

That is his/her (not talking about Jim) reality of truth :-))

Make it a good day.

                                                       --Louis--

Louis Schmier                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of History             www.halcyon.com/arborhts/louis.html
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA  31698                           /~\        /\ /\
                        -_~    /  "If you want to climb mountains,   \ /^\
                         _ _ /      don't practice on mole hills" -    \____