One of the Thomistic proofs for the existence of a supreme being,
rooted in Greek philosophy, is that you cannot think of nothing.  Once you
think you are thinking of nothing, that nothing is something.  Hence, the
mere thinking about God is proof of God's existence, although you have to
take a leap of faith since God is non-rational.  Another proof is that the
existence of the creation is proof of the existence of a creator,
although, here, too, you (rational and finite) don't necessarily know
(though you can believe)  rationally anything about the creator
(non-rational and infinite)

        With all this said and done, wouldn't it be nice if we minded our
own business, doing the thing and following the way, which is our own, and
not mixing in the ways and thoughts and beliefs of other people and trying
to think and do for them?  Wouldn't it be nice if we respected alternative
answers and interpretations?  After all, none of us think and feel in a
void.  We each are the reaction of a certain temperment to that which is
around us, influenced by our experiences and by conscious or unconscious
remains of those thoughts and actions that preceded us.  That is why the
answers to the ultimate questions and to the immediate mundane ones as
well are so widely different.  People of different temperments, different
experiences, different memories are bound to give different answers.  The
answers will not necessarily be contradictory.  They may be impossible to
correlate.  They may be simply different kinds of answers, and they are
all imperfect. Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't feel viserally threatened
by, angered by, and didn't feel the need to stamp out beliefs with which
we disagreed and impose our own.

Make it a good day.

                                                       --Louis--

Louis Schmier                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of History             www.halcyon.com/arborhts/louis.html
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA  31698                           /~\        /\ /\
                        -_~    /  "If you want to climb mountains,   \ /^\
                         _ _ /      don't practice on mole hills" -    \____