I'm glad to be contributing to TIPS (haven't done so in a while). Probably
someone else will send in the answer even before I finish typing this, but here
goes anyways (I just won't read my mail until after I hit the "send" button).

Jean Edwards wrote:

> I was asked by a student why kids who are malnourished have large bellies. I
> couldn't really provide a good answer. I've done a tentative search but
> can't find anything addressing this. Anyone know? Thanks to any and all who
> reply.

According to Tortora & Grabowski (1996; Principles of Anatomy & Physiology--8th
ed):

"One of the major types of undernutrition is known as protein-calorie
undernutrition, which occurs when there is inadequate intake of protein and/or
calories to meet a person's nutritional requirements. Protein-calorie
undernutrition may be classified into two types based on which factor is
lacking in the diet. In one type, called kwashiorkor..., protein intake is
deficient despite normal or nearly normal calorie intake.... The diet of many
Africans consists largely of cornmeal [which lacks essential amino acids found
in many protein-rich foods]. As a result, many African children develop
kwashiorkor. It is characterized by EDEMA OF THE ABDOMEN, enlarged liver,
decreased blood pressure, bradycardia, hypothermia, anorexia, lethargy, dry and
hyperpigmented skin, easily pluckable hair, and sometimes mental retardation."
(p. 842; emphasis added)

The other kind of undernutrition is called marasmus. It results from inadequate
caloric AND protein intake. It is characterized by "retarded growth, low
weight, muscle wasting, emaciation, dry skin, and thin, dry, dull hair."

Jeff

--
Jeffry P. Ricker, Ph.D.          Office Phone:  (480) 423-6213
9000 E. Chaparral Rd.            FAX Number: (480) 423-6298

Listowner: Psychologists Educating Students to Think Skeptically (PESTS)
http://www.sc.maricopa.edu/sbscience/pests/index.html