I thought some of you might be interested in the following article.

Jeff

------------------------------------

http://neurology.medscape.com/reuters/prof/2001/06/06.12/20010611clin002.html

Accurate Dream Recall Unlikely

CHICAGO (Reuters Health) Jun 11 - Individuals are not very reliable
witnesses to their own dreams, according to research presented at the
annual meeting of the Associated Sleep Societies. Dr. William H.
Moorcroft said that a person's recall of the details of dreams is as
rife with errors as eyewitness reports of actual events.

"Our dream recall, even immediately after the dream is experienced, is
not as accurate as we think it is — and we may not capture as much of
the original dream as researchers who try to understand dreams had
assumed," Dr. Moorcraft said. "Furthermore, our dream recall changes
with time, so it's the same psychological process that happens when
we're awake."

Dr. Moorcroft and colleagues at the Sleep and Dreaming Laboratory at
Luther College, Decorah, Iowa awakened 14 subjects from early morning
rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, when dreams are most numerous and vivid.
They asked subjects to recall, and record on audiotape, the dream they
were
having when awakened.

The subjects were asked to recall the same dream the next morning, a
week later and a month later. Comparison of the components of the four
tape-recorded recall sessions revealed that, on average, only half of
the dream components were recalled in any one of the four sessions, the
investigators found.

Of the dream elements recalled immediately following REM sleep
awakening, thought by most researchers to be the most accurately
recalled, subjects were able to recall fewer than 44% in any of the
subsequent sessions.

"We're convinced, in taking a look at these four recalls for each dream,
that you can recognize the essential story in each of these," Dr.
Moorcroft said. "So, it's not that the changes are so dramatic...but
rather the changes are in the specific components, and
these...components do vary over time: some are recalled, some are added
and some are lost."

Dr. Moorcroft concluded that these data should prompt researchers and
therapists and others who work with dream interpretation to "exercise a
level of caution, and not to assume that the recall is the dream...and
realize that we can't be as exact about our theories about what dreams
are for and about."

--
Jeffry P. Ricker, Ph.D.          Office Phone:  (480) 423-6213
9000 E. Chaparral Rd.            FAX Number: (480) 423-6298

Listowner: Psychologists Educating Students to Think Skeptically (PESTS)

http://www.sc.maricopa.edu/sbscience/pests/index.html