Sue:
I"m not really familiar with the title, but in all likelihood you're fairly
correct. Certain titles, as I'm sure you know, are protected by law, and
one cannot use said title without an appropriate license (e.g.,
psychotherapist, counselor, etc.), As I discuss in my Ethics course, titles
that are not protected can be used by virtually anyone, so someone could
call themselves, say, a "therapist" (depends on the state law, of course),
and have no actual credentials, and essentially be beyond the law until
someone sues them for malpractice... I imagine "Personal Life Coaches"
would be similarly vulnerable to malpractice suits, if not credentialing ones.
David W.

At 01:29 PM 7/11/01 -0600, Sue Frantz wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>What's up with "Personal Life Coaches"?  Personally, it sounds like
>practicing psychotherapy without any credentials.
>
>I'm interested in hearing what others think...
>
>--
>Sue Frantz       Asst Prof, Psych
>New Mexico State Univ @ Alamogordo
>http://alamo.nmsu.edu/~frantz