Hi Mike,

It's a great feeling when a course comes together the way your Intro Psych
has this summer - congrats! I know that the subject of using films in class
has come up more than once on TIPS so you might find some useful material in
the archives which can be accessed at:

http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/

One thing I did notice about the examples of films you shared with us: all
of them feature male characters. You might try to strike more of a balance
in your selections since I assume at least half of your students will be
female.

Good luck with those huge lecture sections this fall. I'm sure that whatever
you can do to vary the pace and involve the students will be well worth the
effort. When doing those gigantic classes, one of my profs used to stage
quite a production of the old eye witness study - the one where a
confederate enters the classroom shouting at the prof and then shoots
him/her and flees. It worked like a charm on her students.

Have fun,
Bev
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike said: <snip>Thirdly, one idea I'm currently considering adopting for
these fall courses came from the summer
course.  While talking about some ideas or concepts, such as scripts for
example, sometimes
an analogy from a scene in a movie or something similar would come to mind,
and I'd use that to help convey the material to the class <snip>

Bev Ayers-Nachamkin
Wilson College
1015 Philadelphia Ave.
Chambersburg, PA 17201-1285