We had a similar objection to some similar language... the problem was it
sounds like we are simply tolerating differences, not embracing them...

At 12:15 PM 9/6/01 -0400, Michael Sylvester wrote:
>  One of members of the Board of Trustees objects to the phrase "tolerance
>for diversity"in the mission statement of the college.
>He thinks that this can be interpreted to mean that we ok all types
>of lifestyles and ideas.
>But the college kept it in anyway.
>Are there other schools that are struggling with this language?
>
>Michael Sylvester

Stephen W. Tuholski Ph.D.
Asst. Professor
Dept. of Psychology
Southern Illinois U. at Edwardsville
Edwardsville IL 62026
Phone: 618 650 5391
Fax: 618 650 5087
http://www.siue.edu/~stuhols

"Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so."
                        - Bertrand Russell