Dear Colleague:

I am supporting the candidacy of Robert J. Sternberg in the APA presidential
elections and I'd like to request your help and support as well. Below, I've
listed two of the reasons for my support. It is my hope that you will add a
reason for supporting Bob to the list, affix your name, and forward this
letter on to your peers.

In addition to serving all constituencies among the diversity of our field,
Bob will be the best APA President for psychologists who are on the
faculties of
liberal arts and comprehensive institutions of higher education. I can
speak to and for this constituency although I am now at an R1 institution
that does not
even have a department of psychology, MIT. In the past, I taught on the
faculty of Mount Saint Mary's College and Seminary, served as a psychology
representative to the Council on Undergraduate Research, wrote on the
successes of primarily undergraduate institutions (American Psychologist,
53(9):
1032-43), and been an active member in the reform of undergraduate
psychology education
through the independent colleges organization Project Kaleidoscope. I know
whom and for whom I speak, when I advocate Bob's election.

Reasons to Vote for Bob Sternberg:

1. Bob Sternberg exhibits a dynamic personality and generalist spirit that
enables him to capture the attention and understanding of non-psychologist
stakeholders in society such as teachers, parents, and government officials.
His work on intelligence, thinking, and wisdom are particularly important to
the national agenda for education and life-long learning.

2. Bob Sternberg possesses a developed idea as to the centrality of K-16
education in the growth of psychological science. He appears to be the only
candidate who does not prioritize doctoral, post-doctoral, and continuing
professional education far above the necessity of providing psychological
education for all citizens.

Happy Trails,
John

John H. Newman, Ph. D.
Associate Director for Assessment and Evaluation
Teaching and Learning Laboratory, E53-410
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
50 Memorial Drive
Cambridge, MA  02142, USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]