I believe I am doing my appropriate civic duty in passing on this message:

================

Does anyone on this list live or know of anyone in the New York Metropolitan
Area who speaks Arabic and who also wants to volunteer their time to aid
Arab Americans who are being targeted and harassed?

In particular, the Brooklyn-based Arab American Family Support Center is in
dire need of people to help answer their phones (that are ringing off the hook
with reports of harassment ) and especially those who speak Arabic and
have any background in mental health or trauma counseling.  If you don’t
speak Arabic and are concerned about the violence and harassment directed
towards Arab Americans and South Asian Americans (mostly Indian and
Pakistani) who are mistaken for Arab Americans, please contact the
American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (www.adc.org) at (202) 244-
2990 or the Indian American Center for Political Awareness (www.iacfpa.org)
at (202) 289-3654 to ask how you can help or contact your local Mosque or
Temple.

A simple call of support can be real morale booster in what is a very isolating
and lonely time for these communities.  If you happen to live in the New York
Metropolitan area, please let me know if you are available to accompany
Arab Americans to public spaces to shop, attend school, or worship.  Many
Arab Americans, particularly women and children, fear for their lives and are
simply staying home.

thanks,

PJ Kim ’01
[EMAIL PROTECTED]