At 1:30 PM -0400 9/20/01, Stephen Black wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone!  I haven't posted here before so I'll beg your indulgence
>>if I'm
>> asking too much....
>>
>> One of my students asked a question that I don't have an answer for:
>> Is there a link, a relationship between those who are dyslexic AND are also
>> ambedextrous?  Wondering if there's a brain linkage?
>
>Hi Judy:
>
>Congratulations on your new status as a non-lurker. I'm not aware
>of any association between being ambidextrous and dyslexic, but I
>believe that the incidence of dyslexia is greater in kak-handers
>(ok, left-handers) like myself. The presumed cause would be brain
>dysfunction that is responsible for both conditions. We're also
>supposed to die younger. Sigh!
>
>I can probably dig up a reference if needed.

I'd be amazed if there were NOT a correlation between the diagnosis of
dyslexia and a preference for the sinister hand.

I'd not presume that this relationship were a causal one.
Lefties might simply be attracting more attention from teachers and parents
("there's something wrong with my kid!").

PS
--
Can one be ambisinister?

* PAUL K. BRANDON               [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *
* Psychology Dept       Minnesota State University, Mankato *
* 23 Armstrong Hall, Mankato, MN 56001      ph 507-389-6217 *
*    http://www.mankato.msus.edu/dept/psych/welcome.html    *