I was just presenting to my Advanced Research Seminar class the latest draft
of the APA Ethics guidelines concerning deception. Some of you may know that
the current (1992) guidelines say, "Psychologists never deceive research
participants about significant aspects that would affect their willingness
to participate, such as physical risks, discomfort, or unpleasant emotional
experiences." I had always told my students that they could never do any
research that might be expected to make participants feel the least distress
because of that wording. The proposed revision reads, "Psychologists never
deceive prospective participants about research that is reasonably expected
to cause physical pain or severe emotional distress." That word, "severe" is
pretty strong. Hello, Milgram replications?

Rick

Dr. Richard L. Froman
Psychology Department
John Brown University