Many colleges have collective bargaining agreements and this is usually
controlled by the contract. One option we have is to use up available sick
leave and then get "catastrophic sick leave" at a slightly reduced rate.
Other ways it can be handled is for other faculty to donate their sick leave
(although this can be difficult to do technically). sometimes a "disability"
clause can be invoked as well. Although I dislike collective bargaining, it
is a good idea to have a college wide policy in any case.

Harry Avis PhD
Sierra College
Rocklin, CA 95677
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Life is opinion - Marcus Aurelius
There is nothing that is good or bad, but that thinking makes it so     -
Shakespeare