I would be cautious about "common sense" ideas regarding how to read a
person's nonverbal behavior when they are lying.  There is some
interesting research on this by Paul Ekman and others however.  Some of
this would suggest that it is the direct eye contact that would be more
suspicious and not the avoidance of eye contact.  Anyway....
        I presume students are honest and sincere, but I don't give make-up
exams or allow make-ups for homework, etc.,tho I do consider medical and
similar emergency reasons/documentation for possible exceptions to this
rule.  I  will also excuse students from class points on particular days
if they notify me ahead of time, but assignments are their
responsibility.  When they miss class points --since these are given for
participation/demonstrations, etc., they miss some easy points however.
As a result, I have students telling me when and usually why they might
have to miss a class, but very few students requesting make-ups without
acceptable reasons.  Gary Peterson