This article may be what was being referenced:

http://tinyurl.com/yej2k6j

Rick

Rick Froman
rfro...@jbu.edu<mailto:rfro...@jbu.edu>

On Jan 31, 2010, at 12:06 PM, "Christopher D. Green"
<chri...@yorku.ca<mailto:chri...@yorku.ca>> wrote:

We don't know. He seemed to have some real medical condition, which various
people have attempted to retroactively diagnose in myriad ways (almost always,
and ironically, ignoring the evolutionary fact that all the diseases of
Darwin's time may not map perfectly well on to the diseases of  today). One of
Darwin's best biographers, Janet Browne, has, quite reasonably, suggested that
Darwin would sometimes exploit his frequent bouts of "unwellenss" to keep at
bay prospective visitors whom he did not really want to see.

If that counts as "hypochondira," so be it.

Regards,
Chris
--

Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology

416-736-2100 ex. 66164
<mailto:chri...@yorku.ca>chri...@yorku.ca<mailto:chri...@yorku.ca>
<http://www.yorku.ca/christo/>http://www.yorku.ca/christo/

==========================

michael sylvester wrote:

Having posed the question "was Darwin a hypochrondiac?" Paul Brandon replied
with a flat "NO",but provided no references to back up
his answer.However,a program on NPR aired last week claimed that Darwin
exaggerated his
symptoms which can viewed within the hypochrongiacal paradigm.His illness may
not
have been imaginary,but exaggerations and pre-
occupations with one's health status can be viewed as signs of
hypochrondiasis.Darwin apparently had a body image problem.His nose was of
discomfort to him.As a matter of fact he almost did not make the trip on the
HMS Beagle since the captain did not like his nose and he was sickly looking.
Darwin was a vegetarian and this could have exaggerated his health
problems.People need meat for protein and muscle especially as one ages.Beef is
essential for overall health-beans and rice won't cut it.So Darwin's health
problems could have been self-imposed.
If we are to believe reports that he stuttered,this also suggest that some
psychological conflicts
was underlying his interpersonal communication.Since water treatments were
standard medical practice at that time I am curious if he was water boarded.

As usual I stand corrected.

Michael "omnicentric" Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida

---