Our stat course is still relatively new. When we first set it up, we copied the
prerequisite used by the other two stat courses on campus (MATH and Business).
They listed Finite Math as a prerequisite. After 4 semesters I asked the
Registrar for the stat class grade and prior math courses taken by everyone who
had taken the PSYC stat course (our system does no prerequisite checking, so
students can register for classes that they have not met the prereqs for - but
that's another issue). What I found was that students who had taken Finite Math
did no better than those who had taken no college-level math. They failed and
withdrew at the same rate. Those who had taken a college-level course that gave
them a strong background in algebra - either MATH 101 (Intro) or MATH 105
(Algebra) earned higher grades and tended to withdraw from the class less
often. So, we changed our pre-requisites.

Larry

Larry Z. Daily
Associate Professor of Psychology
Psychology Department Chair