Reading the linked newspaper article, the professor had not 'friended' any
students (that's my Facebook policy, too).

Depending on how your account is set up, I think you can theoretically make
everything you put on Facebook completely public, though the defaults are
fairly private (only friends, maybe friends of friends). I restrict pretty much
any of my content to only friends and not friends of friends... but, it is
complicated. I think a friend can 'share' your posting onto their page, which
means all their friends can see it, etc. The professor, however, would see that
happen.

So, IMO, the most likely explanation is that a fellow instructor friend whom
she didn't know very well shared this with someone else verbally, maybe an
administrator, maybe fellow faculty. The administrators saw the page, probably
by just asking the 'whistleblower' to show it to them. According to the linked
newspaper article, the professor had a conflict with administration stemming
from an article written for the Chronicle of Higher Education. This may be an
excuse to do something to her that they couldn't do after the Chronicle article
and use the Alabama Huntsville shooting as sufficient justification. Of course,
I'm also just plain guessing.

Paul

On Mar 1, 2010, at 4:57 PM, Christopher D. Green wrote:

> A theory: A student saw the postings, told his/her parents, who complained to
> the school, citing the recent Alabama shootings, which felt it had to "do
> something" to show that it was taking the matter as seriously as the parent
> demanded.
>
> Chris
> --
> Christopher D. Green
> Department of Psychology
> York University
> Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
> Canada
>
> 416-736-2100 ex. 66164
> chri...@yorku.ca
> http://www.yorku.ca/christo/
> ==========================
>
> =============
>
> Helweg-Larsen, Marie wrote:
>>
>> Yes it is surprising that people don't have common sense (my daughter's high
>> school FB friends repeatedly post detailed pictures on FB of their underage
>> drinking and drug use). But is suspension for the professor (or any
>> employee) really necessary! What about just a normal "chat" by the dean (or
>> whomever) reminding the professor about how public facebook is. Gesh -
>> imagine if people had to be suspended every time they didn't make a good
>> choice or made a minor error.
>>
>> Marie

>> Marie Helweg-Larsen, Ph.D.
>> Department Chair and Associate Professor of Psychology
>> Kaufman 168, Dickinson College
>> Carlisle, PA 17013, office (717) 245-1562, fax (717) 245-1971
>> Office hours: Mon & Wed 2-3:30
>> http://users.dickinson.edu/~helwegm/index.html

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=999
or send a blank email to