The Wall Street Journal offered an interesting perspective on DSM V from
the perspective of a psychiatrist.

http://tinyurl.com/yh5ah47

Two paragraphs from the column:

To flip through the latest draft of the American Psychiatric
Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, in the works for seven
years now, is to see the discipline's floundering writ large. Psychiatry
seems to have lost its way in a forest of poorly verified diagnoses and
ineffectual medications. Patients who seek psychiatric help today for
mood disorders stand a good chance of being diagnosed with a disease
that doesn't exist and treated with a medication little more effective
than a placebo.

* * *

A new problem is the extension of "schizophrenia" to a larger
population, with "psychosis risk syndrome." Even if you aren't floridly
psychotic with hallucinations and delusions, eccentric behavior can
nonetheless awaken the suspicion that you might someday become
psychotic. Let's say you have "disorganized speech." This would apply to
about half of my students. Pour on the Seroquel for "psychosis risk
syndrome"!

Joe

Joseph J. Horton, Ph. D.

Box 3077

Grove City College

Grove City, PA 16127

724-458-2004

jjhor...@gcc.edu

In God we trust, all others must bring data.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=1012
or send a blank email to
leave-1012-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu