On 11 Mar 2010 at 1:25, Allen Esterson wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth
> and added "Standard disclaimers apply."
>
> Has anyone anything more to add? :-)

Yes.  Now that it's spreading, I think it's time to give this
tiresome and unnecessary "standard disclaimers" warning a
rest. And let's give Wikipedia a break as well.

No one has shown that Wikipedia is any more unreliable than
any other secondary source, in particular other encyclopedias.
In fact one small study in _Nature_ suggested Wikipedia did just
as well as that celebrated source of all knowledge, Britannica.
So unless we're going to label _all_ our secondary sources with
this phrase, perhaps we should just retire it.

We're big boys and girls. We all understand the need for
caution, whatever the secondary source. Singling Wikipedia out
has a whiff of condescension about it, the hint that I know better,
but you need a reminder.  If one really felt that the information
provided is so untrustworthy as to require a repeated warning,
then why is it being cited at all?

OK. Grumpy time over. Standard disclaimers do not apply.

Stephen

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University