Annette asks for a description of these software packages.

The software packages are just data management systems for exisiting
assessments.

They don't come with "canned" assessment measures.  They just organize and
create reports based on the measures (frequently locally developed) that
faculty input.

They have nice features like tools for creating curriculum maps, storing
rubrics online, archiving samples of student work, etc.

UWF doesn't currently use a system institution-wide, but that discussion is
underway.  The College of Business has used a systems for several years to
manage its data for AACSB accreditation and Teacher Education uses a system
for tracking data relevant to NCATE standards.

I've looked at a few systems and they have some very attractive features.
My greatest fear is the tendency to see an empty box in a form created by a
data base and feel compelled to fill it with something, whether that
something is meaningful for evaluating student learning or not.

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.
Director, Center for University Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
Associate Professor, Psychology
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514 – 5751