Subject: RE: Whatever happened to pilot studies?
From: Marc Carter <marc.car...@bakeru.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 11:42:54 -0500

If you know what parameter settings you need in order to show the effect, then,
sure, no need to pilot.

But I know in attention and depth perception research (the two areas I'm most
familiar with), it's rare to run a study without having to play with any
parameters.  You don't start sloppy -- you set things up according to what the
literature and your hypotheses tell you, and you exercise control as you would
with any research.

I always felt that pilot work wasn't wasted, but taught me about what the
source of the effect was.  You go in with an idea that something should do
something, but you have to play with it a while to figure it out.  Calling it
"pilot research" sort of demeans it -- it's really empirical research.

But I sure never thought of it as a waste.  That's how I learned what was doing
what.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=2616
or send a blank email to
leave-2616-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu