One assignment that I have seen requires the explanation of a person's
behavior from different perspectives - similar to what is seen in the
abnormal section of an Intro class. Students could chose someone famous
and try to explain their behaviors. I've done this for an Honor's Intro
class - my favorite example was Scooby Doo - the student took the
biological perspective for why he acts the way he does (the
characteristics of a Great Dane) and the obvious learning approach
(Scooby Snacks!).

Frantz, Sue wrote:

>We've based our student learning outcomes for Intro Psych on the APA
Guidelines for the Undergraduate Psychology Major:
http://www.apa.org/ed/precollege/about/psymajor-guidelines.pdf.

>Goal 5, Values in Psychology (pdf page 17) reads, "Value empirical
evidence, tolerate ambiguity, act ethically, and reflect other values
that are the underpinnings of psychology as a science."  Within this
one goal are 7 suggested student learning outcomes. The one we want to
address is 5.4: "Tolerate ambiguity and realize that psychological
explanations are often complex and tentative."

>In our brainstorming, we came up with giving students a scenario and
asking them to describe the events in the scenario from a number of
different psychological perspectives, e.g. biological, behavioral,
cognitive.  To get at the ambiguity part, we were looking for some
writing prompt that would evaluate whether students understood that one
perspective isn't the correct perspective, but rather all contribute to
our understanding. We had a couple ideas on how to do that, but none we
were happy with, and certainly none that led to an obvious grading
rubric.

>Rather than reinvent the wheel, I was wondering if anyone else has
evaluated this student learning outcome, and if so, how.  To reiterate,
we are not at all committed to this particular assignment. We're just
looking for ideas.

>Some people suggested using 'tolerance of ambiguity' scales.  This is
an approach we hadn't considered.  I wonder if one Intro Psych course
would show much movement on such a scale, or if it's even fair to
expect such a thing.  I also wonder if scores on such a scale at the
beginning of the course (or the end of the course) would correlate with
final grade in the course.

>And then I wonder if it's possible to construct such a scale that's
specific to psychology, a 'tolerance of ambiguity in psychology' scale.

>Sue
>

>--
>Sue Frantz                                         Highline Community
College

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13162.50de294b9d4987a3c89b4a5cc4bdea62&n=T&l=tips&o=2838
>or send a blank email to
leave-2838-13162.50de294b9d4987a3c89b4a5cc4bde...@fsulist.frostburg.edu